Around LA In A Day
Set on the Pacific Coast of Southern California, the City of Los Angeles is a vast metropolis that is often described as being a world of its own.
As the capital of the US entertainment industry and home of Hollywood, LA is arguable one of the best examples of “bright lights big city” in the Western World, so visitors with a day to kill in the city will be spoiled for choice as to how to spend it.
Discover Los Angeles in 24 Hours
If you only have one day to see LA you will need to plan carefully in order to ensure that you pack the most into your brief visit. One suggested itinerary that comprises as mush essential LA as is possible includes:
- Chinese Theatre and the Hollywood Walk of Fame: Start your day in quintessential LA by heading for Hollywood Boulevard. The street of the stars is a big attraction in the entertainment capital, so getting there early can help avoid the crowds. Seek out your favourite stars’ sidewalk stars and soak up the LA ambience on this street. Hollywood Boulevard is also the home of the world famous Grauman’s Chinese Theatre – where you can find the hand and footprints of stars of stage and screen preserved in the sidewalk concrete as part of Hollywood tradition.
- Celebrity Home Tour: This tour picks up at the Chinese Theatre and offers visitors a chance to gain a glimpse of the lifestyles of the rich and famous, taking a driving tour of the neighbourhoods that the Hollywood elite call home.
- After taking in the best of show business, you may wish to consider getting behind the wheel yourself in order to make the most of the rest of your day. It is said that everyone drives in LA, and you will see why when you get here. Rental cars are available on daily deals and picking one up at this point will allow you to head through West Hollywood (if your budget permits a stop to shop on Rodeo Drive can be thrilling) onto Pacific Palisades and Malibu on your way to discover yet another face of LA.
- Santa Monica: This seaside suburb is the destination of your drive so park up for free at Santa Monica Place (two hours is allowed with no charge) and explore all that is on offer. Visit the Santa Monica Pier and beachfront promenade, where attractions include a roller coaster and Ferris wheel. A selection of eateries in the area offers something to suit every budget at lunchtime.
- Venice Beach: Leaving Santa Monica head over to Venice Beach and soak up the atmosphere on the boardwalk. Browse the shops and stall before heading down to Muscle beach to see the world famous outdoor gym in action. Consider a dinner by the beach before heading back into town to sample the local nightlife – with a wide selection of afterhours venues available on Sunset Strip – don’t forget to drop your car back before you hit the bars though!